Thursday, August 1, 2013

My Favorite Teams

MY FAVORITE TEAMS ?



  Any person that's interested at all in Sports has their favorite teams.  This involves my current favorite teams, as well as my All-Time PAST favorite teams.  

  My current favorite teams have been my FAVORITES for at least the past 18 years.. theCarolina Panthers became an NFL expansion team in 1995. Owner Jerry Richardson (who formerly caught passes from Johnny Unitas as a Baltimore Colt) predicted a Super Bowl victory in their first ten years.  Although he fell short in his prediction, he came very close. In only their second year of existence, the Panthers made it to the NFC Championship game, where they lost to the eventual champion Green Bay Packers.  The Panthers came even closer in 2003, when they won the NFC Championship and went to the Super Bowl, losing in one of the biggest thrillers in history, 32-29, to the New England Patriots.  Again, they came close in 2005, losing to the Seattle Seahawks in the NFC Championship game.  My favorite Panthers player has always been wide receiver Steve Smith, although I've had many other favorites, such as Jake Delhomme, Sam Mills, and now Cam Newton and DeAngelo Williams.

  My other favorite team of mine is (and has been) the Carolina Tar Heels basketball team.  I've followed the Tar Heels even longer than I have the Panthers.  My earliest recollection of UNC Basketball was back in 1967 or '68, years of Larry Miller and Charlie Scott. I remember Charlie hitting the game winner at the buzzer against Davidson to send the Tar Heels into the Final Four.  There have been MANY FAVORITE Carolina players over the years.. almost too many to name.. but I will try to remember them and list them here.. when I have time.  Let me just say for now.. two of my very favorite Carolina teams never made it to the Final Four.. the 1984 team (with Michael Jordan and Kenny Smith)..  andthe 2011 team (with Kendall Marshall and Harrison Barnes).  Both of them came really close, but (in my opinion.. and many others) they fell short because of a key injury to their point guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment